Who doesn’t love a tortilla? They’re super easy to make, they delicious, cost effective and so versatile! The only downside to modern tortillas is that they usually come wrapped in single use plastic - not ideal. We thought we’d share our favourite tortilla recipe to help reduce some of plastic out there AND everything taste more delicious when you make it yourself! These are great as wraps, cut into strips served with hummus and guacamole - you could even use it as a pizza base!
3 cups plain flour + extra for dusting
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup warm water
Optional: add your favourite spice to the dough!
1. In a large bowl add the flour, salt, baking powder and mix until fully combined.
2. Make a well and add the oil and water. Mix again until a dough forms - this should take a couple of minutes.
3. Once your dough has formed, knead it on clean floured surface until smooth - this took about five minutes. Rest the dough with a tea towel for 10 minutes to allow the gluten in the dough to relax.
4. Next form 6 - 8 balls and shape them into smooth balls. Rest for a further five minutes.
Whilst the dough is resting heat a pan to a medium to hot temperature.
5. On a floured surface roll out each ball with a rolling pin until you get a disc/circle shape, it should just about be the size of your pan and a thickness of 1-2mm.
6. Place the tortilla dough on the heated pan and leave to cook for a couple of minutes, you’ll notice bubbles forming on the top of the dough. Just like pancakes, flip it over and there should be little brown spots on the cooked side. Continue cooking for a further two minutes.
7. Take off the stove and place on a plate with a tea towel over the top and continue to cook all the tortillas.
Serve fresh with your favourite hummus, guacamole, salad - anything! Store in an airtight container for 3-5 days.