It’s the most wonderful time of the year and if you’re looking for a shortbread for the holiday season – well this recipe might be for you! Filled with the tastes of Christmas, sweet dried cranberries and nutty tastes of pistachio all in a crisp, shortbread. This a great gift to give this holiday season and takes little time too just pop it in a reused glass jar or even in a weck jar.
1 cup icing sugar
1 tbsp vanilla extract
2 1/4 cup plain flour, sifted
1/3 cup cornflour sifted
1/3 cup pistachio
1/3 cup chopped dried cranberries
- In a large bowl start whisking the margarine until light and creamy.
- Add the icing sugar and vanilla extract and whisk until fully incorporated, this should be whipped for a couple of minutes so air gets incorporated into the mix. This will make a lighter shortbread.
- Next add the sifted plain flour and cornflour – mix until a dough forms.
- Once the dough is formed add the finely chopped dried cranberries and pistachio.
- Shape the dough into a flat disc and cover with compostable cling film and leave in the fridge for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees celsius and line two baking trays.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and roll the dough ion a lightly floured surface to about 0.5cm in thickness and use cookie cutters to cut out your biscuits. If you don't have cookie cutters just cut into the tradition rectangle shape using a large chopping knife - just be careful on your counters!
- Place on the baking sheets (be sure to leave a little space between the shortbread, however these spread very little).
- If you don’t want to bake the entire mix, store the dough in the freezer.
- For a traditional spin, press a clean fork into the biscuits for decoration – I do this three or four times.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the corners are slightly golden.
- Leave to cool on a wire cooling rack and store in an airtight container. These keep for a while!