Want to make your own fruit mincemeat this year and avoid those plastic containers? This fruit mincemeat is the perfect filling to make delicious Christmas mince pies - just make your own sweet shortcrust pastry. These make great gifts for the holiday season and a fun festive activity with friends and family - it's easy too!
In the middle ages Christmas mince pies did in fact have meat in it! The fruit and sugars were put into help preserve the meat. Times have really changed - phew!
100g mixed peel
Zest of one orange
Juice of two oranges
2 granny Smith apples - grated
225g brown sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
155g planted based margarine
- Combine all of the ingredients except for the margarine in a large bowl.
- Mix until evenly combined, cover and set aside for 24 hours to let the flavours really develop and for the fruit to soak up the juices.
- Bake in a covered tray on un-baking paper at 180 degrees Celsius for 30 minutes or until the fruit thickens.
- Leave to cool slightly.
- Wash your weck jars and sterilize them in your oven.
- Pop the fruit mincemeat in the jars and store or start making Christmas mince pies!