When feijoa season is here, they come in an abunance and sometimes you need to get creative. This loaf is one of our favourite ways to make sure none go to waste.
It will be good for 4-6 days so it's great to make as part on a Sunday in preparation for the week or perfect for to serve for afternoon tea with friends or family.
1 1/4 cup Mashed Feijoa
1½ cups Flour
1 tbsp Ground Ginger
3/4 cup White Sugar
70g Plant-based Margarine
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
½ tsp Baking Powder
½ tsp Baking Soda
1 Flax Egg ( 1 tbsp flaxseed powder 2 1/2 tbsp water, mixed together and left for 5 minutes)
Icing sugar to dust
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius and oil a loaf tin with margarine or oil.
- In a large bowl cream together the margarine, vanilla extract and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and mashed feijoa and mix again.
- Sift into the bowl: flour, baking powder, baking soda and ground ginger.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet.
- Pour into the prepared loaf tin and bake for 40 -50 minutes or until a knife comes out clean when put in. The loaf should bounce back when pressed.
- Once cool, sift icing sugar on top and serve on it's own or warmed up with margarine.
- Store in an airtight container for 4-6 days.