Introducing bake a gift! As the festive season approaches we have been thinking of ways to create eco-friendly/ low waste gift ideas that are not only good for the planet but are accessible and low cost point. So we thought we'd start with our favourite vegan Gingerbread recipe! We like our gingerbread full of spice and use fresh ginger in there too so if you're not a fan of ginger fibres just omit it and stick with the ground spices!
1 tsp baking soda
400g plain flour
1 1/2 tbsp ground ginger
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
70g golden syrup
90g light brown sugar
1 1/2 tbsp finely grated fresh ginger
100g dairy free spread of your choice
1 tbsp vanilla paste
1. In a large bowl sift together the plain flour and baking soda, ground ginger, cinnamon and put aside until later.
2. In a small saucepan add the golden syrup, brown sugar, ground ginger, fresh ginger, margarine and vanilla paste.
3. Heat the saucepan on a medium to high heat and stir the golden syrup mixture until the margarine has fully melted and all is incorporated.
4. Add the golden syrup mixture to the sifted flour and baking soda and mix until a dough forms – don’t over mix!
5. Wrap in a reusable wrap/cloth and place in the fridge for 1-2 hours.
6. Remove the dough from the fridge and leave to rest on a counter top for 30 minutes or until rollable)
7. Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius (338°F) and line a tray with Seed & Sprout un-baking paper or reusable baking paper.
8. Lightly dust your clean counter top with flour and roll out your gingerbread dough until it’s 0.5cm in thickness.
9. Using a standard cutters, cut out as many Christmas shapes as you can!
10. Place the gingerbread a couple of centimeters apart and bake for 15 minutes.
11. Leave to cool completely.
Keep in airtight container.