If you’re wanting to cut down on meat and are looking to have at least one meat free dinner a week - a curry might be what you’re looking for! This one pot vegan vegetable curry is filled with flavour and all of the good stuff. I love a recipe that doesn’t require a lot of effort and this is definitely one of those recipes. This curry can not only be enjoyed a curry but I like to make pies with it too - it just give and gives!
- 1 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger grated
- 1 large carrot (washed, peeled and diced)
- 2 potatoes (washed & largely diced)
- 1x 420g can of chickpeas
- 1x 400g can of crushed tomatoes
- 2-4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp chilli (add as much as you can handle!)
- 1x 400ml can of coconut cream
- 2 handfuls of baby spinach
- salt & pepper
1. Place the casserole dish on a medium to high heat and add the oil and onion.
2. Cook the onions until almost caramelized and then add the minced garlic & ginger - cook for a further five minutes.
3. Next add the carrot, potato, chickpeas, tomato purée, vegetable stock, cumin, chilli, turmeric, cinnamon stick, salt and pepper to the casserole dish. Mix and return to the heat for 30 minutes - check regularly and stir to avoid the bottom sticking. You can also top up with water if you need to.
4. Lastly, add the coconut cream and spinach. Cook for a further 10 minutes, remove the cinnamon stick and serve hot!
5. The curry should be slightly thick but not too thick so add water where you see necessary or cook for longer if you’d like it thicker.
Serve with homemade garlic naan and coconut yoghurt. Enjoy!